Stolen Future chapter2 Vocabulary
1. Histopathology- the science dealing with the histological structure of abnormal or diseased tissue; pathological histology.2. Egregious-extraordinary in some bad way; glaring;flagrant
3. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons-also know as PAH's, is a class of chemical found in petroleum products or created by the incomplete burning of any carbon-containing material ranging from gasoline to hamburgers on the outdoor grill.
4. Petroleum-an oily, thick, flammable, usually dark-colored liquid that is a form of bitumen or a mixture of various hydrocarbons, occurring naturally in various parts of the world and commonly obtained by drilling: used in a natural or refined state as fuel.
5. DDE-The breakdown product of DDT.
6. Methoxychlor- another synetic pesticide that has also been reported to act like the hormone estrogen.
7. Endocrinology-the branch of biology dealing with the endocrine glands and their secretions, especially in relation to their processes or functions.
8. Toxicology-the science dealing with the effects, antidotes, detection, etc., of poisons.
9. Symptome-any phenomenon or circumstance accompanying something and serving as evidence of it.
10. PCB- a perdidtent indutrial chemical that is a common pollutant in Great Lake fish.
Defining certain terms from the reading helps the reader obtain a more in depth understanding of the text because they know what these terms mean. Personally I did not know the definition of some of these terms because they were chemical components, but after looking over these terms I was able to comprehend what I was reading. Also it helped me find the reading more interesting because if we skip a word we don't understand it is easier to get bored since we don't really get what is going on. Therefore, I believe defining and looking at terms we don't understand will help readers comprehend a little better the text they have in front of them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Sabrina in the fact that this list of vocabulray words was hwlpful when I was reading the chapter. To be honest, when I read the chapter the first time, I skipped almost ten if not more words for each page. Although I couldn't define all of the words, it did help me in understanding more of the chapter and the author's main points.
ReplyDeleteTo add on to me earlier comment:
ReplyDeleteI also think that the list is helpful because i skimmed the chapter again with the defined vocabulary words in mind and it helped me understand many of the chemical and medical terms.
I also noticed that the abbreivations of some of the words like PCB and DDE were also included. Before going through this list of vocabulary words, I did not know that polyaromatic hydrocarbons
ReplyDeleteare a class of chemical found in petroleum products or created by the incomplete burning of any carbon-containing material ranging from gasoline to hamburgers on the outdoor grill.
Nor did I know that endocrinology was the branch of biology dealing with the endocrine glands and their secretions, especially in relation to their processes or functions
For the list I think the word "hypothalamus" would an important one to add to it even though we know that hypothalamus it a part of the brain I still think it is important to know the functions of it and where it is located in the brain.
ReplyDeleteHypothalamus: a region of the brain, between the thalamus and the midbrain, that functions as the main control center for the autonomic nervous system by regulating sleep cycles, body temperature, appetite, etc., and that acts as an endocrine gland by producing hormones, including the releasing factors that control the hormonal secretions of the pituitary gland.
I also think the stone flies and mayflies can easily cause confusion because both insects look the same so I think it's best if we also add those definitions are added to the list
ReplyDeleteStone flies: any of numerous dull-colored primitive aquatic insects of the order Plecoptera, having a distinctive flattened body shape: a major food source for game fish, especially bass and trout, which makes them popular as models for fishing flies.
Mayflies: Also called shadfly. any insect of the order Ephemeroptera, having delicate, membranous wings with the front pair much larger than the rear and having an aquatic larval stage and a terrestrial adult stage usually lasting less than two days.